Introduction

Why the Mustache Fish?
It's all because of a dream I had... O.o

Friday, May 6, 2011

A questionnaire...of DOOM!

1. Outside of school and your comics, have you written any fiction or non-fiction? Do you like to read prose fiction or non-fiction?

Yes indeed! Although I only have physically written complete stories when they were no more than ten pages long. Usually I write a bunch of prompts and outlines.

I prefer fictions. It's not that I wouldn't read non fiction, I just haven't found many interesting ones. Though I do like history.

2. Would you say you have a good awareness of the history of American comics?

Everything I know about American comics I learned from watching cartoons and watching a documentary. I'd say I am aware, but I couldn't name off all the facts or even give legitimate opinions. :P Hence taking this class.

3. Off the top of your head, could you name 5 artists who worked in comics before 1980? Do you have a favorite?

Uuuuuuuuuuuhhhh...Stan Lee? I don't know if he was an artist as well as writer.

4. Could you name 5 artists who work or worked in newspaper comics?

Charles Schulz - Peanuts, Dan Piraro - Bizarro, Bill Keane - Family Circus, ... That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

5. Could you name any contemporary cartoonists from Europe? Do you have a favorite?

Ah man, I could name some animators.

6. Could you name any contemporary manga artists from Japan? Do you have a favorite?

I think Ryoko Hikawa is still alive and working, though I could be wrong. She's my fave.

7. Do you read European comics?

I have not, but I will.

8. Do you read any manga?

I have, but not for a while. After the incredible disappointments of Fullmetal Alchemist, Fruits Basket and Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles the magic is beginning to wear thin. Too expensive a hobby to tolerate such lame endings. "And since the artist is too unimaginitive we through together a quick slap of an ending and they all got better, the end!" Booooring.

9. Do you regularly draw in a sketchbook or write in a journal?

Yes and Yes! I feel lost if I skip a few days.

10. Would you say you have a good working ability to drawing with brush and ink? If so, how long have you used a brush? What types?

I'm not too confident in my brush skills so I've been practicing with a brush pen filled with water and ink and I think I'm beginning to get the hang of it. Inking I love but am always looking for improving.

11. Which magazines or websites do you regularly read in order to get comics news?

None...

12. Which magazines or websites do you regularly read in order to get news of current events?

...none. I usually listen to the radio as I drive or get the news from my mom.

13. Do you go to comic book conventions or festivals? If so--which ones?

Comic-con! It's a tradition for my older brother, younger sister and I to go. Not this year though. :(

14. Have you ever sat through a portfolio review with a professional editor? If so, could you briefly sum up their message for you?

Well, not an editor. No.

15. Have you ever had your work published? If so, where?

I wish!

16. How long have you been drawing?

As long as I could hold a crayon, but only really learning about drawing since I cam to college a few years ago.

17. Do you like to go to museums? Do you have any favorite "fine" artists, either living or dead? Film directors?

Yes! Especially free ones. Actually, I'm a huge fan of Rockwell and Walter Raine. I also love this new artist I've discovered, but I'll have to get her name here another time.

18. Would you think it could be useful or beneficial to watch a film or films as a group and discuss it afterwards as it may relate to comics? Do you have a recommendation for such a film?

I think so because since we have to do it for a presentation I would like to see it done.

19. What ethnographic background do you have and how confident are you in acting as an expert of resource of that background?

I am white, very Irish, but I've lived mainly in northern Oregon and southern California - very different places.

20. What comic or book or movie have you read/seen at least 5 times? And 10 times?

I'm not too big on rereading generally, but I think I've read Usagi Yojimbo by Stan Sakai quite a lot. They're quick reads and very entertaining. Movies, when I was younger I watched My Little Ponies, The Great Mouse Detective and Raggedy Anne and Andy's Musical Adventure all the time. I also love Darby O'Gill and the Little People. I could go on and on, but I want to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment